Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Last Update

We spent our last night with the RV in Banff. It's a small, quaint mountain village just about an hour and a half outside of Calgary. It's a funny thing when you go on vacation in the mountains. It forces you to overcome that fear of heights that you've had your entire life! Every time I turned around I was WAY higher off of the ground that I really wanted to be! We rode the gondola up to the top of the mountain and had spectacular views of the mountains and the town of Banff. The weather was perfect as you can see from the pictures.

We spent our last day today in Calgary and had a fantastic day. We visited Olympic Park where the 1988 Winter Olympics were held. Not only did we get to see the ski jumps and the grounds but we also got to experience a little action! We started with the luge which was a little cart that we each got to ride down the side of the mountain on a concrete track. Those little things fly down and have some sharp corners...we had a blast! After that Jacob got me to do yet another thing that I never would have done if my kids didn't push me. Jacob and I rode the bobsled on the actual bobsled track from the Olympics with a professional driver! (Emma was too young to do it and Jerry's back never would've handled it. So yet again...great daring adventure that I get talked into!) We were going 90 km/hour which is about 55 mph! It took us just over a minute to get from the top of the mountain to the bottom. It was one of the scariest minutes of my entire life! The G forces were so strong I could barely pick my head up. We were getting knocked around so much my neck was sore. I knew it was only about a minute long so I started counting and reminding myself that I could do anything for one minute! I'm glad I did it but I can say with confidence that I will never do it again! The picture is of us in the Jamaican bobsled from the 1988 Olympics. This is where the Jamaican bobsled team made their Olympic debut. You may remember the movie Cool Runnings (I need to watch it now) about the team and their Olympic debut. Parts of the movie were filmed at this park.

So it's about 11 o'clock and time for me to finish our last minute packing and get to bed. We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow. I will end by saying that if you ever have the chance to see the Canadian Rockies please take it! This is truly one of the most stunning, beautiful places I have ever seen. We have completely fallen in love with Stephen and Martin (and if course Sheila and Scott!) and it will be so sad to leave them behind. I will post pictures when we get home. Thanks for following along on our adventure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment