Thursday, August 14, 2014

Breathtaking Views!

Okay so I finally have a connection to update! We picked up the RV on Monday and started off on our adventure! I am updating from Jerry's phone so I don't have a ton of pictures right now. He ended up buying a short-term data plan so I can only update from his phone. It turns out that remote campgrounds in the Canadian Rockies don't have a Wi-Fi connection!! I will tell you right off the bat that we don't even have an awning on this RV so no worries!!

Our first stop was a hike at Johnston Canyon. It was a mile and a half up and a mile and a half down with unbelievable waterfall views. We didn't get to our first campground until about 9 o'clock Monday night. It wasn't the best night as we had an electricity connection, but they lost power! We had no water hook up so had to go to the campground showers...in the dark! Once we finally settled down we discovered that we were right next to a train track. Trains came through at midnight and at 4:30 in the morning blowing their whistle! Needless to say we didn't get too much sleep! But in the morning we had a fantastic surprise… Jerry's cousin Raymond and his wife Martha and their two kids came up from Washington state and joined us! We haven't seen them in nine years so it is quite fun to catch up!

We left that campground and made a quick stop at Lake Louise which is the picture I'm posting. It was stunning! We didn't spend too much time there, as we will be back that way at the end of the week. We moved on to another campground in Yoho national Park. On Tuesday we went to Emerald Lake. It was the most beautiful lake I had ever seen! We rented canoes and had a beautiful ride on the lake. Jerry was even brave enough to jump in!! I wish I had the picture of his face on this phone! I can't wait to share it with you... the water was freezing! Of course we then had to have a race across the lake! needless to say with all of the splashing we were all pretty wet when we finished!!

We came back to the campground and all three families had campsites right next to each other. We lit a fire, cooked dinner, made s'mores and had a great night! Emma discovered that she has another girl cousin named Dawn who is 13. They hit it off and were like old friends within minutes!!

We got up early this morning to catch a bus into a remote lake called Lake O'Hara. It was a half hour bus ride. We had to reserve seats on the bus three months ago. They only bring in approximately 40 people a day and that is it. Unfortunately we could only get six seats on the bus so poor Sheila and Scott had to hike the 6 miles up! I thought that Emerald Lake was the prettiest lake I had ever seen until we got to Lake O'Hara! Again I wish I had pictures but they will come later. From Lake O'Hara we hiked for two hours straight up the mountain to another lake called Lake Oesa. The views were absolutely breathtaking!! I've never seen anything so beautiful. We were at an elevation of over 7000 feet...we actually had snow on the edge of the lake we hiked to! I can't wait to share the pictures with you; they are quite amazing! I still cant believe we made it all the way up there! We are wiped out tonight!

We are back at the campground now and tomorrow we are off to the Columbia icefield to walk on a glacier! We are having an amazing time. I will update again as soon as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment